Monday, August 1, 2011

Red Poppies Flower Garden Colorful Sketch by Artist K. Joann Russell

"Red Poppies Garden Sketch"
6 x 9" acrylic/ink on paper

The reds of garden poppies draw my attention whenever they are blooming. This abstract color sketch using only four acrylic colors I painted as a fun break from a more realistic painting of poppies I am working on. I used scarlet red, cadmium yellow light, cobalt turquoise, and chrome oxide green.

I added some black ink lines after the color exploration. When I started an artistic journal a few years ago I used expressive black lines because I like to doodle over the color shapes. Later I stopped adding the lines when painting the color chord series of abstract greeting cards. You'll find some of them in my Etsy shop.

Red poppies are one of the perennials I want to plant in my new garden. This year I've used my "tried and true" bright nasturtiums and petunias to provide masses of colors from purples to reds to yellows. Have you viewed my colorful flower paintings including prints of red poppies?


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails