Monday, February 28, 2011

Abstract Colorful Small Painting Floral Art Rhododendron Colors


4 x 6" acrylic on watercolor paper greeting card
"Color Chord #14"
SOLD


My color explorations that developed into a series of abstract small paintings on greeting card watercolor paper have been popular from the day I offered them to collectors. Many say that they are not giving the greeting card as a gift because they like the painting so much that they plan to frame it for themselves.

Yesterday I read a few sentences of author Mitchell Albala in his chapter on color in the book "Landscape Painting". He said, "Ultimately, working with color is as much about ongoing experimentation as it is about the application of theory. Understanding color is a lifelong endeavor, not something that can be fully grasped in a short amount of time. The most brilliant colorists confess that they are still trying to figure it out."

I'm not a brilliant colorist but I'm definitely still trying to figure it out. That's my play with colors. This little gem of color exploration reminds me of the rhododendrons of the northwest that start blooming about now and continue through spring. The delicate colors of petals against the deep greens of the leaves are gorgeous as the flowers start to bloom.

Today I sent several of these cards to Australia to a new collector who plans to frame and give the paintings one by one as encouragement gifts as a friend goes through a series of cancer treatments. What a wonderful way to celebrate a friendship!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails