Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Deep Magenta Color Exploration Sketch for Artist Journal


Deep Magenta and Viridian Color Sketch
5 x 8" acrylic on paper

The color sketches I've been doing using a palette knife are producing interesting marble striation textures. I've not used pen and ink with the acrylics for awhile. Instead broad strokes with the palette knife, action strokes and scraping back on layers of paint are the "techniques" I'm currently using while exploring color combinations.

The colors used for this split-complementary color scheme are deep magenta with viridian and a touch of yellow light Hansa. When I was finished the sketch called to mind the delicate color variations in rhododendron flowers that contrast with dark green foliage in shadow areas. I paint those flowers in watercolors. Maybe I'll have to do them in opaque acrylics.

While I'm finishing my morning coffee these have become my warm ups before working on paintings. They are quick to do and get me responding "outside the box."

My goal is to finish this sketchbook by the end of the year which completes this two year project of an artistic journal. Flipping through the colorful pages I must say to myself, "You've come a long way, baby!"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails