Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Three Colors Triad in Artistic Journal Sketch


5 x 7" acrylic on paper, journal sketch

In this color exploration of three colors I used a only a small palette knife with a round tip, not a flat color mixing knife. Usually I apply the paints with a brush. This time I laid the paint on the paper in a trowel-like fashion, broad and narrow "slabs" of paint. Then I scraped off some paint to expose colors a layer below followed by another mix of the same colors. Finally, as the paint was drying quickly, I "patted" the paint in different areas which produced texture. Click on the picture to see a more detailed view.

I found the result of using only cobalt turquoise with a bit of cadmium orange and thio violet resulted in a number of subtle colors. The whole effect was like a marble striation. An interesting green was one of those colors.

Color wheel terminology would call this a triad color combination meaning three colors evenly situated around the circle of colors. I tried to make one of the three colors dominant and I tried to keep the colors light contrary to my tendency to paint strong color contrasts.

I had fun with colors and that was the purpose of this sketch.

2 comments:

Ira Mency said...

I love it, the marbling impact worked well and whatever you did keep it up it's beautiful.

K Joann Russell said...

Thanks, Ira, for your comment. The marbling just "happened". It must be the way I hold and move the palette knife because I continue to get the same effect with other color combinations. Seems a pity to just have them as color sketches, but I have no clue what to do with them. Any ideas?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails