Monday, November 22, 2010

Puget Sound Impressions in Artistic Journal Triad Colors

4 3/4 x 8 1/2" acrylic on paper sketch

Using a color triad of Hansa yellow light, permanent alizarin crimson, and phthalo blue acrylic paints I painted this color sketch yesterday as the snow started to fall in the Puget Sound area of Seattle. I used only a #2 filbert brush and a flat palette knife to play with the colors.

As I finished with the paints this little sketch seemed to be expressing my experiences in this area of miles and miles of shoreline at different times of day. The bright light bouncing off the distant Olympic Mountains which sometimes are beautiful pink colors. The omnious cloud formations coming over Vashon Island share space with the light colors.

The lower portion of the sketch reminds me of the dark colors of the waters under piers. The churning waters of white caps I've seen often driving along the boardwalk at Redondo Beach, WA. Even the dark shapes in the distance could be symbolic of the freighters steaming by.

I especially like the thalo blue colors with a touch of light yellow that make beautiful greens.

Even a few speckles of titantium white paint which were not intentional in the process of making the sketch are reminders of the snow that started to fall while I was making this color exploration.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails