Thursday, November 4, 2010

Abstract Artist Journal Sketch in Raspberry Colors


"Raspberry Ripple", 5 x 7" acrylic on paper

When I was using a magenta paint recently I remembered this artist journal sketch in which I played with three acrylic paints; light, medium, and deep magenta. Doesn't the sketch remind you of raspberry ripple ice cream? It did for me. I can "taste" it right now on this unusually warm, sunny day in the Puget Sound area of Washington State!

I enjoy trying various acrylic paints because the color mixing is already done for you. That is the major difference, I find, between oils and acrylics. The drying time is so fast with acrylics that it doesn't allow me much time to mix colors. Oils are so different in drying time that I enjoy mixing basic colors and seeing how tiny amounts of another color change the mix. I think it gives one a greater command over the properties of color.

My first experience in painting was with pastels. The colors are so clear in that medium because you are working more directly with color pigments. The binding solvents for acrylics, oils, and watercolors determine the ease or difficulty in mixing colors. I'm itching to bring out my pastels again. Maybe do some mixed media paintings with them? Over "so-so" acrylic paintings?






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails