Monday, September 6, 2010

Flower Gardens Colorful ACEO Using Watercolor Crayons




Colorful Flower Gardens ACEO Painting
2.5 x 3.5" Watercolor on paper

While looking for some special pencils I found my Caran d'Ache Neocolor II Artists' Crayons and decided to play with the colors. The top photo shows the color selections and the effects with water. The second photo is the ACEO that developed when I painted with these colors. I wanted to use all the colors I had rather than limiting my palette to only a few crayons.

Watercolor or Aquarelle crayons look similar to the familiar school crayolas, but these are pure pigment that dissolves in water. Because they are water soluble you can use wet and dry techniques in the same drawing/painting. A lot of crafters and scrapbook or journal book makers use these color sticks in their designs. It was a lot of fun playing with these crayons from a fine art vantage point. The ACEO seemed the most appropriate size for my explorations.

Yesterday when I was checking on the technical information for the crayons I happened onto a fabulous video on using them by one of my favorite artistdesigners Donna Downey. Click here for the link to the video. Ironically, I used these art materials a year ago at a weekend of workshops with Donna. She is so much fun and witty. Oh, her creativity! And how she so graciously shares it with others and encourages anyone to live creatively using any media.

To celebrate creativity on Labor Day, I'm offering this ACEO free to the first person to e-mail me to ask for it.

4 comments:

Gretchen Bjornson ART said...

This painting has such a big composition and hugely colorful, it's hard to believe it can be as small as an ACEO! I love your idea of giving it away. I might have to borrow that thought.

K Joann Russell said...

Thanks, Gretchen, for your comment. Have you ever played with them? I used to use them with a sketch pad in the field, but hadn’t touched them in a long time. Because of the vast number of colors now available I’m wondering how much could be done in larger watercolors and using them as a linear drawing element with the washes.

Gretchen Bjornson ART said...

Joann, I have not played with them, but have seen other artists try them out with wonderful results. I have used the watercolor pencils and they do a good job, but sometimes I find they don't blend very well. I will have to look into trying out the crayons.

Gretchen Bjornson ART said...

Joann, I have not played with them, but have seen other artists try them out with wonderful results. I have used the watercolor pencils and they do a good job, but sometimes I find they don't blend very well. I will have to look into trying out the crayons.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails