Thursday, August 19, 2010

Delicate Purples from Alizarin Crimson and Cobalt Blue in Sketch


5 x 8" Color Sketch
Acrylic/Ink on paper


The combination of alizarin crimson and ultramarine blue makes some of my favorite purple colors. However, in this sketch I substituted a clear blue, cobalt blue, to make a light and delicate color exploration.

The page of paper did not have an additional paper layer pasted on it. Somehow I had overlooked a few pages when I constructed this artistic journal. So I had to work drybrush technique as much as possible because too much water would have totally ruined the paper.

I started the color mixing using a 3/4" angular flat brush, one of my favorite brushes because I can make all kinds of strokes with it. As I came to the end of my experimentation I switched to a smaller 1/4" angular flat brush for some details.

There were delicate passages of white which prompted me to optimize them with more white paint speckles. However, they seemed to contrast too much with the soft background, so I used a dampened wet tissue to daub at the white paint.

As so often happens in intuitive painting, there was a point where I thought I had "lost" the sketch to the status of being a mess. But, I pressed on with the challenge of making something out of the original two colors and ended with something light and delicate, my goal today. I had fun and that is what counts for me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails