Thursday, August 26, 2010

Colorful Reds in Painting Sketch of Garden Flowers


5 x 8" Color Sketch
Acrylic/Ink on Paper

In one of my large flower pots this year I planted a variety of red blooming flowers. Yesterday I noticed the reds ranging from bright orange red to a clear red, followed by a rose red and a blue red with accents of dark, dark maroon. I hadn't planned it that way. I was just trying to make a bright, colorful painting using reds in the garden.

The flowers are salvia and petunias. In the sketch I omitted the white sweet allysum flowers which provide a softening effect to the strong red colors. Neither did I include the delicate pink miniature rose currently blooming and standing slightly above the red flowers.

The colors I used for this artistic journal sketch are cadmium yellow light, cadmium red light, permanent rose, alizarin crimson, maroon, and hooker's green. I used one brush, a #4 filbert. Do you know which are warm and cool reds?

Combinations of red and green can be so trite if the colors tend toward traditional Christmas red and green. This little sketch shows some of the many colors classified as red. It was so much fun, per usual. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Gretchen Bjornson ART said...

The flowers look very lush and vibrant.

K Joann Russell said...

Thanks for your comment. I'm pleased that I could show something of the vibrancy in the flowers. Red can be such a challenge as a color, as you know.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails