Monday, November 9, 2009

Lavender Iris Original Painting ACEO ATC

"Lavender Iris"

3.5 x 2.5 acrylic ACEO on watercolor paper

Fun with purple! Today I used dioxazine purple, a red violet, thalo blue, and ultramarine blue to mix a variety of colors in the iris and the background. A little yellow and raw sienna added to the stems The dark value behind the flower makes it stand out, but the dark is not from black. I rarely, if ever, use black paint.

It's good that I had other demands on my time today or I would have been tempted to fiddle too much with the image to refine the color strokes. When to stop is a challenge most painters have to face each day. I'm getting better at telling myself , "that's it, the best I could do today", and moving on. Otherwise I could be ''fixing" for ever and ever on one tiny ACEO, making a bigger and bigger mess without growing as an artist.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails