Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Red and Purple Petunias Fresh from K Joann Russell's Garden


Red and Purple Petunias
5 x 8.5" Acrylic on Paper

Enjoy my quick sketch of the bright red and deep purple petunias that are starting to bloom in my garden. In the warm sun they are especially colorful. Color is my passion. Acrylics dry so quickly that I needed to paint fast and bold.

This will go into my artistic journal for this day. I'm encouraging myself today. The contrasts in the colors is strong. Many years ago in response to someone's opinion that you shouldn't put those two colors together, I deliberately painted strong reds and purples side by side in watercolors for a gallery show. The art critic who reviewed the show commented how well I could pull off the unusual combination of red and purples.

Do you like the colors? By the way, I drew the shapes while looking at two different sections of the garden. Notice how I used pieces of color to relate the two color masses. I had fun, so that's all that counts on these quick sketches. Expressive color strokes rule today!

Be sure to click on the photo to enlarge the image so you can see the expressive drawing and painting strokes.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails