Monday, April 20, 2009

Rural Western Landscape Sketch by K Joann Russell

Rural Landscape Sketch
5 x 8 1/2" acrylic on paper



Sunshine in Seattle! It is actually very warm today. Two days in a row! Everyone comes outdoors on days like these, including me. I've switched to oil paints with this warm weather. They take so long to dry in the winter damp.

I've been working on a rural landscape with horses in it, similar to a recent watercolor. The colors are a little muted and I wasn't getting the effect I wanted. I pulled out another unfinished landscape oil painting of bright colors in light and shadow. That's what I would like in all my landscapes.

Yesterday in the gorgeous weather I studied again my color mixes and considered a few new ones. At the end of the day without much time left I grabbed some acrylic paints and worked really fast to get better colors. This is the sketch I did in my artistic journal.

I like the vibrant colors and the spontaneity of the brushwork. The subject is not well defined on purpose, but that's okay. I achieved what I wanted.

A number of my spontaneous sketches of late have resulted in landscapes. I've received so many gracious compliments on my landscapes recently that I'm working my way back into doing more of them. Before an art professor suggested I paint all the flowers in my garden, I painted only landscapes. I assure you my sunflowers and flowers won't go away, but I'll continue improving my rural landscapes. Maybe I'll also do more horses.

Thanks for your patience in waiting for my infrequent postings. Where has the last month gone?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails