Saturday, March 14, 2009

California Poppies Sketch in Artistic Journal of K Joann Russell


"California Poppies Sketch"
8 x 5" Acrylic on paper

As I mentioned in this blog earlier this year, I've been using an artistic journal to help me paint in a more painterly, loose manner. It's working, folks. I've noticed it in my recent paintings. I'm encouraged.

Yesterday brought back some memories of my many precious childhood art experiences in California where I was born. My first painting of the Woodside Store (San Carlos-Redwood City area) was done in pastels. Today to "celebrate" the child in me, I did a quick sketch of the well-celebrated bright California poppies. I used only a yellow, a orange, a green, and a blue color plus a touch of white to make this little gem of a sketch.

I must admit that I may have overworked this sketch, but it did end short of disaster. At one point there was a spontaneous freshness that I "ruined" when I started to work more on parts of the flowers. Artists understand the dilemna of when to stop a painting and call it "done". I had fun playing with the colors and that's all that matters to me.

3 comments:

Gaston Studio said...

How beautiful Joann! So fresh and bright. I appreciate the value of stopping before something becomes overdone.

Studio6or7 said...

This is beautiful! It reminds me of my walks to school when I was in elementary school along the canal path in California that was littered with poppies.

K Joann Russell said...

Thank you for the memories. I, too, walked among the poppies as a child in California. I guess we don't forget them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails