Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sunflower Ballet Original Painting from Sunflower Studio Art

"Sunflower Ballet"

8 x 10" acrylic painting on canvas - gallery wrap

To purchase click here


This sunflower reminded me of gestures and movements in a ballet. I painted the background a dark color to give the subject a dramatic look. The composition is a very simple series of shapes.

Computer monitors can't show you all the nuances of colors. The dark background is an excellent example in this little painting. On the monitor it looks black. I didn't use any black paint. I do not use black in my paintings. I got in that habit when I was introduced to traditional watercolor.

So, how did I get such a dark color? I mixed colors that produced various darks. Some have a blue, others a touch of purple, some darkened greens. That's so much fun to mix those. The opposites on color wheels or three colors equally spaced on the wheel can give you a starting point. All part of the fun of playing with colors. I used two blues, two greens, one purple and one red.


2 comments:

Gaston Studio said...

Lovely painting! I see blues on my monitor.

K Joann Russell said...

Thanks for you comment. Yes, blues show in places next to the yellow petals. Other spots show more greens. Fun playing to make "black" when I'm so leery of "mud" in watercolor mixing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails