Saturday, February 14, 2009

One Minute Gestural Memory Sketching, Expressive Drawing of Horse by K Joann Russell


With love I share this less than a minute gestural sketch I did late last night. Yesterday was a full day and this entry in my artistic journal says a lot to me. I'm using this illustration to show you the many benefits of such a journal. I have not altered the image after scanning it, so that is why the lines are faint. Click on the image to enlarge it for better viewing.

It has been "ages" since I painted a horse picture although I have three large unfinished canvases of horses propped against a wall reminding me to do something about them. At the end of a long day I impulsively grabbed my pencil to draw expressively from memory a horse with stretched neck to get some nourishment amid crocuses. Note that one ear of the horse is turned as though the horse is cautiously listening to someone or something. The impulse is caution.

Gestural sketching simply uses quick, sometimes multiple lines to indicate the space orientation or movement of a subject. To finish the sketch I used a few strokes of watercolor to indicate the yellow color I spotted in crocuses popping up along a sidewalk as I walked in windy Seattle with temperatures in the low 30's.

I added in pencil a few words to remind me of people, events, etc. that gave further personal meaning to the sketch. My scripture focus yesterday was in Nehemiah 5:11 about the command to "restore" in reference to the rebuilding of the wall of Jerusalem and the peoples' well being. At the top I wrote "whoa horse team" because I accepted the invitation to join yesterday an Etsy forum by that name composed of horse artists. The name at the bottom refers to a gallery which represented me years ago.

To sum up the whole minute plus color sketch, it put me back in touch with my love of horses and my ability to express that love which was denigated by a "successful" artist whom I respected at one time. I've encouraged myself, as the Psalmist David did often. Yes, I can still draw horses, even from memory! Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

Gaston Studio said...

What a lovely sketch and from memory! I think you should pick up one of those canvases and get started again.

Tina Cowan said...

Just looking at the sketch, I'm impressed already...YES nicely done!

dayana said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://sketchingdrawing.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails