Tuesday, December 9, 2008

White Irises Daily Painting, Colorful Painting by Artist K. Joann Russell


"White Irises Study"
5.75 x 4" Acrylic on Watercolor Paper


How time flies... when you're having fun! Right? It's been awhile since I posted to this blog. Lots of painting going on but no tiny paintings to add to this blog. Sorry, folks!

I finally did a small one as I prepare for a painting of white irises. The trick is painting whites using subtle shadows. It's kind of like the negative painting I like to do in watercolors.

An interesting part of this study was my "testing" of the effects of titanium white and "soft white" (acrylic label). The first is a white with a touch of "coolness", a tiny blue tinge. The second has a touch of yellow which "warms" the white. Have you ever dealt with this when painting white walls in your house? There's white and then there's white! Check out the white color chips at the paint store to see what I'm talking about.

I started this study leaving the white of the paper for the lightest parts of the flowers as I used a wash of ultramarine blue to indicate the shadow areas. Later I added titanium white to the light areas because the paper wasn't white enough to suit me. When I added mixtures of dark blues for the background areas the whole painting started to feel "cold" even though I added touches of orange. So, my last paint applications were of "soft white". That achieved the temperature I wanted and the contrasts to render the painting interesting.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails