Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Original Watercolor Painting Sketch of Nasturtiums

The orange reds contrasting against green nasturtium leaves caught my eye when I went outside to enjoy my lunch in bright sunshine. These are part of the second blooming of tiny nasturtiums planted next to the cement patio edge. At first I thought of using acrylics to paint this one, but the light was changing so fast that I grabbed the watercolor palette I was already using today. The challenge was to show the bright colors of the flowers and make the larger size blossom "pop" out as it was doing from the ground and the various greens of leaves in shadows.




"Nasturtium Color Study"

5 x 7" watercolor on mat board

Can you picture me sitting on the concrete to get down close to the subject? I sketched basic composition lines then swiftly added color strokes using only #8 and #4 round brushes. The smooth surface of the back of the mat board allowed for washy strokes of color. I indulged myself in some negative painting (painting around the back of a color shape versus painting the shape directly). I love to do that. I also did some glazing to pull everything together (color wash over the entire piece). Yellow helped unify everything. I signed it with my #1 round and called it a day. I got what I wanted. The nasturtium flower "popped" off the sketch surface.

Do you like it, too? This one is free to the first person to e-mail me to request it. Click here to e-mail me. Update 11/04/08: An admirer of my work who lives in Maine asked for this sketch. I plan to offer free more little sketches, so check back on this blog.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails